Job Opening ID # 8003
Starting Salary Range: $60,000-$80,000/annually.
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the intimacy of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university.
Under the direction of the director of news and media relations, the incumbent is charged with communicating news of the university’s achievements and activities to the news media and other external audiences as well as to the campus community. A member of the Communications and Marketing unit of University Relations, the incumbent maintains strong working relationships with university administrators, faculty, and staff to develop leads for news stories and features, primarily for the Social Sciences Division. The incumbent is expected to develop productive working relationships with local, regional, state, and national reporters and editors, particularly those that cover social sciences, in order to achieve prominent placement of news stories on a regular basis. The incumbent’s work is expected to enhance local, regional, state, and national understanding of the teaching, research, and public service missions of the University of California, Santa Cruz, in general and of the Social Sciences Division, in particular.
• Bachelor’s degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
• Excellent demonstrated writing skills, including news and feature writing.
• Demonstrated ability to independently synthesize difficult material quickly and to produce high-quality, succinctly written copy under extreme deadline pressure.
• Demonstrated ability to interact, frequently and effectively, with university administrators, faculty members, and staff in the social sciences and other areas.
• Ability to communicate the university’s achievements and priorities to a broad range of audiences. This includes the working press, campus community, and the general public.
This position requires passing a pre-employment criminal history background check.
Position is open until filled. Initial Review Date: 06-21-2020
APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS. View the full job description and apply here.
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment opportunities web site at https://jobs.ucsc.edu. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.