Chicago Public Media is seeking interns for our Newsroom, Podcast, Talk Show, and Multi-Media teams.
We are located at Navy Pier in Chicago, Illinois. Due to COVID restrictions, interns must be able to work remotely at their own designated location with internet access; they also must be willing and able to work at our Navy Pier studios.
Chicago Public Media interns gain hands-on experience while working alongside some of the best talent in the business. Our hope is that — after receiving a solid foundation at WBEZ — our interns continue to contribute to this industry.
A bit about our internship programs:
- Many, but not all, of our interns have completed college or some other form of education and/or certification in the journalism or media field(s).
- Many go on to careers in public media or other outlets. Many have found their way back to WBEZ, too.
- We pay $14/hour, non-negotiable.
- Scheduled work weeks are up to 24 hours/week.
- We offer some flexibility on scheduling; most are daytime work hours and on a Monday through Friday schedule
- Internships last approximately 6 months, running January 2021 through June 2021
- Because these are part-time roles, they are not eligible for benefits.
- We are accepting applications through Oct. 12, 2020.
What we are looking for our candidates to display in their resumes, cover letters and interview conversations:
- Knowledge about WBEZ and our mission of serving the community
- Strong interest in learning and contributing to our mission
- Curiosity and the willingness to learn
- Understanding of the value of bringing together diverse perspectives
- Why WBEZ is part of your career planning in journalism and media
- Specific skills you want to learn during the internship
- If applicable, any links to a portfolio of writing samples; audio, video, or multimedia packages; or other completed work that may be relevant to this opening
Applications with resumes must include cover letters; use the cover letter to share any links to previous work and/or include any job-related criteria not on your resume.
The essential functions described above are not all-inclusive and may change periodically to meet the needs of Chicago Public Media (CPM). The information contained in this job description is not intended to create any contractual or other legal commitment. Chicago Public Media may change the content or format of this job at any time in its sole and exclusive discretion without notice.
Working at Chicago Public Media
Our full-time employee population hovers around 150 people, and approximately half of our team is represented by SAG-AFTRA. We work at our newly renovated open and collaborative space at Navy Pier in Chicago, IL. We know it is imperative
that our workplace reflects our community so we can, in turn, provide content that connects people. We are committed to having a thriving workplace where everyone can contribute their talents. If you share our passion for public service news and information, join us! Check out our LinkedIn page for further details here.
Chicago Public Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we actively seek and welcome people from all backgrounds, orientations, and life experiences to join our team.