Lehigh Valley Public Media is seeking an energetic, innovative and insightful Radio News Director for our newly acquired NPR affiliate radio station. The News Director will be responsible for developing and implementing all facets of the daily, local radio news coverage and will have the opportunity to build and oversee a team of hosts and reporters. As well as working with the over a dozen multi-media journalists in our Reporter Corps.
The News Director will work with the VP of News to determine coverage of current issues of importance to the Lehigh Valley community. In addition to directing radio enterprise, investigative and daily news content, the Director of News contributes to the station’s community engagement efforts, social media endeavors, and department housekeeping needs.
- Lehigh Valley Public Media a 50-year young non-profit located 90 minutes from Manhattan and 60 minutes from Philadelphia in the rapidly growing Lehigh Valley of Pennsylvania. The organization is beginning an exciting new era called WLVT 3.0 and seeks talented and energetic team members for these transformational new enterprises that will ensure a community that is engaged, inspired and vibrant.
- Mission Statement: Lehigh Valley Public Media acts as the catalyst to promote civic engagement, and to fulfill the regional needs of the Greater Lehigh Valley through its dynamic communication platforms and resources.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Provide leadership and direction for reporters, editors and hosts carrying out WLVT’s coverage mission.
- Sensitivity to building strong relationships, providing outstanding leadership, setting and monitoring expectations and providing excellent communications with team is vital
- On a daily basis, ensure news vision for innovation, diversity and community service that reflects Lehigh Valley Public Media’s communities and organizational mission
- Assign and direct daily coverage and enterprise, working with team of reporters and editors
- Communicate continuously, collaboratively and effectively with web/mobile and broadcast leadership to deliver coverage for shows, newscasts, digital and mobile services
- Manage daily and weekly news planning process through effective system of meetings, one-on-one communication and use of electronic/written communication systems
- Where necessary, edit copy and tape, audition actualities and other sound elements and provide final approval for broadcast as needed
- Air check direct reports.
- Work collaboratively to support program staff and newscasters
- Participate in editorial projects and special programming
- Coordinate on awards submissions and other proof of performance.
- Communicate with listeners on story inquiries and tips as appropriate.
- Plan and execute longer-term, in-depth initiatives involving Engagement, Content and other platforms/departments as part of a coordinated effort to ascertain and cover issues.
- Works with Grants Department to ensure budgets, deliverables, and funder reporting are timely and accurate
- Cultivates and maintains strong relationships with NPR News editors and national show editors and pitches reporter’s stories to these outlet
- Provide clear guidance, feedback and supervision to assigned staff, which includes editorial aspects and performance assessment
- Foster a creative and productive work environment
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- 3 years of experience managing in a news environment
- 5 years of experience working covering news and using strong news judgment
- Proven track record editing stories and working with staff to grow and develop
- Must be able to work across a variety of content platforms
- Excellent communication skills both across a newsroom and in a media organization overall
- Deep knowledge of changing media landscape
- Experience working with diverse communities and bringing to light those stories
- Excellent organization and follow through skills with the ability to manage multiple competing priorities
- Demonstrated professional experience in editing and producing audio stories and in writing and/or editing news articles for print/web publication.
- Experience with social media platforms, and community engagement tools preferred.
- Ability to excel in a team environment with a high level of personal motivation.