Discover where your talent fits best at ALM…
At ALM, we’re reinventing the way professionals use information, news, data, marketing solutions and events to manage the business of business. That requires creativity, collaboration and innovation. Headquartered in New York City with 18 offices worldwide, ALM brands have been serving their markets since 1843. Join our team of talented ALMers working to create exceptional experience for our audiences and customers across the globe.
ALM, publisher of The Legal Intelligencer, The American Lawyer, The National Law Journal, and other award-winning national, international and regional publications, seeks an experienced full-time reporter to cover litigation in Pennsylvania.
We’re looking for someone who is ready to break news, deliver analysis and develop quick enterprise treatments and long-form features on news events, cases and issues of interest to litigators in Pennsylvania, as well as legal professionals and other interested readers nationally and internationally.
This position will focus on covering the Philadelphia trial courts and the Pennsylvania Supreme Court, as well as the state appellate courts and other trial courts around the state. The person in this position will focus first on civil law, from the city’s class-action and mass tort bar, to products liability, medical malpractice and employment law. They will maintain a sharp focus also on judicial elections and appointments, and there will be opportunities also to cover law enforcement agencies such as the Eastern District U.S. Attorney and the district attorneys in the region, along with getting to know the go-to criminal defense lawyers.
The ideal candidate is smart, energetic, a great writer, familiar with the legal industry and eager to be part of ALM’s digital-first global newsroom. The reporter will also have the opportunity to contribute to new digital news products, such as newsletters, podcasts and video.
The litigation reporter will be based in ALM’s Philadelphia office, but will be expected to do face-to-face reporting in the courthouses and law offices of the region, under the direction of one of the Litigation Desk editors.
ABOUT THE TEAM: As part of ALM’s global newsroom, the litigation team is focused on covering the news, trends and issues involving the most important cases and legal trends in federal and state courts. We put a premium on reporting on trends, problems and anomalies, while also tracking the key lawyers, judges and other players shaping the litigation landscape. It’s about covering trials, what wins them, what loses them, where things will go next for lawyers and their clients, and what’s going on in the courts.
- Produce breaking news stories on rolling deadlines for readers in Pennsylvania and other major legal industry markets.
- Write authoritatively on litigation issues of critical interest to legal industry professionals.
- Develop sources, establish and broaden a base of contacts.
- Produce enterprise articles, including features and investigative pieces, while juggling daily news commitments.
- Work well in a team environment with colleagues in Pennsylvania and around the world.
- Must be able to write clearly, concisely, engagingly and authoritatively—and on a deadline.
- Must be able to establish and nurture relationships with lawyers, judges and lawmakers.
- Must thrive in a fast-paced environment and have the ability to juggle a stream of daily stories on tight deadlines with features and analysis.
- Must be capable of writing 2-3 stories a day and at least two enterprise stories a month.
- Must have a positive, can-do attitude.
- Must have good communication and time management skills and be a team player good at collaboration.
- Must be creative, curious and enthusiastic about using social platforms, video, interactive data, and other digital tools to enhance reporting and connect with readers.
- Ideally, 2-3 years’ experience in a daily news environment and some experience with legal or business journalism is preferred, though recent grads are welcome.