Startland News is a non-profit newsroom sharing the bold, untold stories of Kansas City’s entrepreneurs, startups, makers, creatives and risk-takers. Our team is committed to the idea that the diverse range of innovators and creators — people behind everything from tech to tastes in the region — deserve to be elevated through objective, solutions-based journalism.
Not only is Startland News an exciting and valuable discovery platform for the community, it has been recognized as one of the best media outlets in the region; earning numerous top honors in 2021 — Best Local Business Story, Best Headline Writing, Best Environmental Story and more — in a competition that included major metro newspapers from across Kansas and Missouri.
And now, the team is growing. Be part of Kansas City’s premier publication for entrepreneur and innovation news — a dynamic and inclusive workplace where our journalists are at the forefront of trends reshaping Kansas City and beyond.
Anticipated start date: Fall 2021
- College or professional experience in news, media or reporting
- Willingness to embed in the Kansas City community
- Ability to juggle daily news reporting with longer-term enterprise and feature writing
- Social media savvy
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent oral communication and networking skills
- Expert grasp of AP style
- Must work from Startland News’ Kansas City-based newsroom in the Power & Light District
- Find and pitch stories
- Write and upload online news stories under strict deadlines
- Interview and build rapport with sources in Kansas City
- Attend and report on events, press conferences, etc., occasionally after 5 p.m. and on weekends
- Work with newsroom leaders to conceive story ideas and enterprise pieces in multiple formats
- Assist with Startland News events and programming
- Capture and edit photos and videos as needed
- $38,000-$50,000 based on experience
- Full benefits (Health, dental, and vision insurance plans)
- Relocation stipend (if moving from out of state)
- $250 monthly healthcare stipend
- Unlimited PTO
- Extended time off around holidays
- 401(k) with employer match
- Professional development stipend
- Company computer
- Garage parking pass
Submit the following: resume, clips/portfolio (including any video or photography work), and references
As an equal opportunity employer, Startland — the 501(c)3 parent organization of Startland News — is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or characteristics, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Startland encourages people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply, particularly Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC); those who are first in their family to attend college; LGBTQIA+ community; and people from low-income backgrounds.
Startland is committed to building a diverse team and has set diversity goals for each round of the interview process. The next round of the interview process will not proceed until those diversity goals are met.