Canada’s National Observer (CNO) is seeking a reporter to cover stories in the greater Ottawa area with a focus on the challenges of colonialism for urban Indigenous people, and on Indigenous excellence and success.
This position is a one year (temporary) fixed term position funded by the Local Journalism Initiative (LJI).
You will deliver breaking news, personal interest profiles, Q&As, and events impacting the Indigenous urban community in Ottawa and surrounding areas. This may include covering government institutions, healthcare, community service providers and activism. Your stories will discuss the experiences of Indigenous peoples off-reserve, urban life and connections to their home communities and cultures.
You will also cover the Assembly of First Nations, the Congress of Aboriginal Peoples, NWAC, the Métis National Council, the Métis Nation of Ontario, Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami and their political work impacting urban Indigenous peoples and their families. This will include breaking news, profiles, Q&As, reports, and explainers. The stories will question how settler institutions and the legacy of colonialism conflict with the lives of First Nation, Inuit and Métis peoples.
What you will do
Daily reporting: you will be expected to write daily stories 5 days weekly.
The focus will be: original reporting on news and news features built by developing sources in Ottawa communities and building meaningful relationships that lead to stories that would not be reported on otherwise.
- 1-2 years of experience reporting for a daily news organization, or equivalent knowledge and skills gained through lived experience
- Degree in journalism
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Knowledge of federal government processes
- Familiarity with Indigenous political organizations and cultural institutions in Ottawa and Gatineau, and nearby communities
- Understanding of Indigenous culture and practices
- Fact-checking, research and interviewing skills
- Knowledge of Canada’s National Observer mission and coverage
Pluses for us are:
- Ottawa contacts and resources
- A keen eye for how to package a story so it connects with readers
- SEO knowledge
- Ability to write quickly
- Talented at writing headlines that resonate with audiences
- Ability to turn in clean copy
- Forethought to visuals and an eye for visually compelling stories
- Positive attitude
- Compassionate and empathetic
Starting salary is $60,000 annually
- Medical and dental health benefits package
This is a bargaining unit position. The collective agreement between Observer Media Group (Canada’s National Observer) and the Canadian Media Guild applies.
To apply, please submit a résumé and cover letter through our online application portal. Applications without well-considered cover letters will not be reviewed.
Your cover letter should address:
- Why Canada’s National Observer?
- Your experience and major accomplishments as a journalist
- A particular issue area or type of journalistic initiative you would be excited about working on at Canada’s National Observer
Deadline for applications is Friday, June 24, 2022