Michigan Radio, NPR’s largest member station in the state, is looking for a curious and thorough reporter to join our team.
You are someone who’s passionate about stories of interest to Michigan and beyond – whether those stories are written, told through audio, or shared through social media. We’re looking for someone with diverse sources, whose stories focus on what’s at stake for the people involved. Someone who can help uncover the facts, and create connections that give meaning to our complex world.
The reporter will pitch and report their own stories, and work with their fellow reporters. We produce newscast spots, sound-rich features, long-form investigations, Podcasts, and digital-only projects.
The Michigan Radio newsroom covers the big stories, but also tries to focus on what other news outlets have not. That could be an undercurrent in a big story or something entirely enterprise. We look for what our audience is missing or misunderstanding.
This reporter will work with other passionate journalists and editors who have produced projects like the Peabody-winning podcast Believed, and nationally recognized coverage of the Flint Water Crisis.
What happens here in Michigan is often a bellwether for the nation: from education challenges to clean drinking water; municipal bankruptcy to the uneven rebuilding of a great American city; manufacturing and international trade; the auto industry; legacy industrial pollution and the stewardship of the Great Lakes; and a major swing state in presidential elections.
- Understand what makes a good story and be comfortable working on multiple platforms (broadcast, digital, podcast, photography, and treatments (sound-rich features, host/reporter 2-ways, print/digital) to tell those stories.
- Have demonstrated storytelling capabilities and who can find and write their own enterprising stories.
- Enjoy working with our audience and potential audiences, and participate in station and community events.
- Perform all responsibilities in a manner consistent with Michigan Radio’s high journalistic standards to ensure that accuracy and fairness are central characteristics of all content produced.
- Work with a diverse team to meet required production deadlines
- Direct report to News Director
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent work experience is required.
- Experience working with audio recording equipment and editing software
You will have experience with:
- File public records requests and appeals
- Write concise, tight, evocative copy for the ear
- Managing multiple projects simultaneously
- File for national networks
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Benefits at the University of Michigan
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, The University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family and plan for a secure future. Benefits include:
- Generous time off
- A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate vesting
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
Michigan Radio EEO Statement:
Michigan Radio is committed to attracting and retaining a creative workforce filled with varied perspectives and experiences to enhance and continue our mission of producing trusted content to grow a diverse community of listeners.
We are committed to fostering a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment for people from all backgrounds, identities and ages.
University of Michigan EEO Statement:
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer.
This position will be located in Ann Arbor, or Detroit, or Grand Rapids, Michigan metro areas depending upon applicant.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eight day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
How to Apply: