Consumer Reports is seeking a skilled autos journalists who can write product focused articles related to our unique and world-class testing program and who also feels comfortable searching out novel enterprise stories about the transportation technology revolution now underway. The successful candidate is extremely curious about new technology and how consumers are impacted and passionate about delivering well-written, concisely reported stories. This position is located in Yonkers, New York.
- Bachelor’s degree with at least five years of experience in multi-platform editorial for automotive, business or consumer project journalism required.
- Experience in high-speed automotive testing required. Must possess a SCCA license or have completed a professional driving school course. Strategic creative skills essential. Must be able to work in self-directed capacity and to conceive and execute compelling multimedia content.
- Can translate complex technical automotive information into informative content across multiple platforms.
- Ability to manage and lead in a cross-organizational capacity required.
- A thorough knowledge of automobiles, the automotive industry and automotive engineering are preferred.
- Competent in all aspects of reviewing and creating accurate and compelling stories across all platforms.
- Skilled in collecting and interpreting all data, internal and external, to create the most accurate and in context story possible.
- Ability to smoothly transition writing styles from hard news to expository review to opinionated blog.
- Competent in editing and writing display copy, generating ideas for infographics across all media.
- Must maintain a US driver’s license in good standing.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to meet rigid deadlines.
- Competency with page design software such as K4 and CQ as well as Microsoft Office and Google Docs highly beneficial.
- On-camera broadcast experience, mass media training, and a daily journalism background are preferred.
- Under general supervision generates cross-platform automotive content campaigns that will be published across print, digital, and video platforms; works closely with counterparts in Labs, Advocacy, Survey, Communications, Design, and other key stakeholders to maximize resources and consumer impact.
- Proactively follows and reports on autos, ensuring content is relevant, timely, cutting-edge and addresses consumer needs in a proactive way.
- Attending trade shows and other industry events as needed.
- Acts as both in-house autos spokesperson and CR autos representative for media outreach, tradeshows and industry events.
- Acts as on-camera autos subject-matter expert for all CR video platforms; may be asked to execute rough drafts of video scripts.
- Collects data, summarizes and interprets market information to make relevant content recommendations. Assists digital editorial team to maintain specialty products such as Buying Guides, Product Pages, and other regularly-updated content on Consumer Reports Online.
- Coordinates information among ATC, Advocacy, Survey, Social, Communications, Design, and other organizational teams that support assigned content areas.
- Assists with the planning and scheduling process, creates sidebars, infographics that animates stories and reports.
- Moves content through the production process, incorporating changes by related parties, copy fitting, and conferring with art and production personnel.
- Writes headlines, subheads, captions, cover lines etc., as necessary.
- Prepares sourcing for fact checking Tests automobiles at ATC and in everyday life.
- Collaborates with engineering team to create multi-media content.
- Actively participates as a member of an auto product testing and content team, conferring with other team members as necessary to ensure objectives for quality and timeliness are met.
- May write content, as needed, across all platforms.
- Maintains high level knowledge of one or more product or service categories within the content group.
- Performs other duties of the department as needed, but not those of a higher level.
Editing and Writing: Demonstrates professional-level editing and writing ability across multiple media formats. Able to edit the work of colleagues (writers and non-writers) in various stages of development.
Consumer Focus: Proactively seeks ways to discover and incorporate consumer needs into all content development.
Collaboration: Values the contribution of all internal resource groups (e.g. Product Intelligence, Survey, Lab Techs, etc.).
Time Management: Demonstrates ability to accomplish tasks by established deadlines; demonstrates discipline in using time management tools and techniques, uses time efficiently to balance competing demands and priorities.
Content Strategy: Partners with other areas to ensure content is current, of the highest quality, and delivered in multiple media formats in support of the organization’s strategic goals.