Who We Are:
The mission of American Public Media Group (APMG) is to enrich the mind and nourish the spirit, thereby enhancing the lives and expanding the perspectives of our audiences and assisting them in strengthening their communities. We aspire to be the leader in creating trusted and meaningful listening experiences with and for curious people, and we seek to create a diverse, inclusive culture focused on growth and outcomes to serve our audiences.
APMG’s primary operating divisions Minnesota Public Radio, Southern California Public Radio and American Public Media offer multi-regional FM broadcast channels, website, mobile and social media channels, live events, national content creation and distribution. Together, these divisions operate 49 public radio stations and 42 translators serving regional audiences in eight states from Minnesota, Michigan and the Upper Midwest to Idaho and California; distribute a portfolio of more than twenty national programs reaching nearly 20MM listeners weekly through 1,000 radio stations; serve rapidly growing audiences on digital, social and mobile platforms; and produce an increasing and diverse array of podcasts featuring the best in food, culture, entertainment, mental health, water, early brain development, business and investigative journalism.
Are you passionate about finding and sharing important stories missing from news coverage of Minnesota? Can you connect with diverse communities to identify their information needs and work with teams to help meet those needs? Are you motivated by telling stories with community impact?
Then this is the job for you. Join MPR News to help fulfill our mission to inform and engage audiences across the state of Minnesota. We are the second-largest newsroom in the state and the only statewide public media network of journalists committed to excellence on-air and across multiple digital platforms.
We’re seeking a reporter with a focus on engagement to join MPR News to be at the forefront of our mission to inform and engage with our audiences. This reporter will be a key player on the digital news team and across the newsroom.
You will hustle and work quickly to report high impact stories, while seeking to engage our audience through the savvy use of traditional reporting, data, video and social media. You are a self-starter with high standards. You are collaborative, have excellent communication skills and you’re comfortable providing and taking feedback. You will engage communities and audience members across multiple platforms and understand what platform and storytelling approach is the right fit for a given story.
This role is critical to the ongoing growth of MPR News and vital to our award-winning journalism. This position will work closely with digital producers, editors and reporters and is responsible for contributing to audience growth, connections, and engagement goals. Your schedule will be Tuesday through Saturday, with Saturdays focused on engaging with our growing weekend audience.
Application Deadline: April 28, 2020
- Discover, report and write engaging stories for our key audiences;
- Develop and refine the voice of MPR News social accounts;
- Work with the distribution and engagement specialist to monitor, analyze and distribute social metrics to wider teams as needed to inform future content creation;
- Be the voice and writer of our newsletters;
- Work with editors, reporters and producers to engage with our various audiences to mine story ideas;
- Engage with audiences online and when necessary in person.
- Bring audience ideas and voice to the forefront of our reporting;
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- 2 years of experience in a digital newsroom;
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or marketing;
- Knowledge of social media;
- Knowledge of digital metrics and search engine optimization.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Must be a strategic thinker and have excellent news judgment, exceptional writing and editing skills and ability to write on deadline;
- Attention to detail;
- Ability to communicate key messages both internally and externally;
- Knowledge of AP style;
- Must excel at headline writing and be an excellent short-form writer, who is driven by data and analytics to understand digital success;
- Proficient in translating Google Analytics and Chartbeat metrics into meaningful editorial outcomes.
- Deeply skilled in audience listening in person and via social monitoring tools.
- Ability to work collaboratively and bring new ideas to the table verbally and in written work;
- Ability to work on multiple projects at one time;
- Solid interpersonal skills with the demonstrated ability to develop and maintain productive relationships with creative, energetic and demanding professionals;
- Must possess excellent customer services skills and a friendly and professional attitude
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Ability to shoot video and still images;
- Be creative and innovative in creating tone of voice;
- Experience working in a non-profit news organization;
- Knowledge of public radio;
- Ability to speak or write Hmong, Somali or Spanish is a plus.
Reporting To This Position:
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to occasionally move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time;
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and printer.
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
- May be occasional evenings and/or weekend work
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
- May need to be called in to work as news warrants
- Consistent and reliable attendance is required.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.