The Seasonal Reporter/Producer is responsible for helping write, create and manage Major League Baseball’s digital content. They work closely with assignment editors, MLB homepage editors and beat reporters to ensure that our content is accurate, timely, informative and fun.
The role requires versatility, as all candidates will be expected to comfortably navigate our content management systems and could also be called upon for game and event coverage.
Depending on location and experience, duties for those in this position will include a combination of serving as a fill-in beat reporter, which will entail attending pre- and post-game media availability and writing news stories, features, game recaps and sidebars; game production, which will entail being responsible for editing, fact-checking and posting content to team sites during games; newsletter production, which will entail preparing our beat reporters’ newsletter content for publication; or for some hires, all the above.
The position could be a precursor to a future role as a full-time Reporter/Producer, a position that involves sharing time between covering games from the ballpark and managing content on the web, so diverse skillset with writing, editing and CMS experience is preferable. We want someone who’s a baseball nut, but also appreciates the lighter side of the game and is inclusive of the casual fan, can think and write quickly and accurately, understands effective headlines and is intuitive about which types of content will resonate.
This is not an office-based position and we will therefore consider candidates from any U.S. location; however, those who reside near or in baseball markets or in the Pacific Time zone would be filling a specific need.
Candidates who want to be seriously considered must include a cover letter with the application.
- Write, edit and post content for use on MLB and team digital platforms
- Reacting quickly and accurately during breaking news
- Craft entertaining headlines, captions and blurbs
- Package stories with video, photos, social media and other features
- Make judgments on story significance and arrange content into lead packages
- Communicate consistently with others on the content team on latest developments
- Excellent writing and copyediting skills
- Experience with content management systems and web publishing
- Thorough grasp of baseball landscape and comfort with stats
- Work well under deadline and in fast-paced situations with multiple responsibilities
- Obsessive about accuracy
- Knowledge of social media and SEO
- Strong communication, presentation and organization skills
- Basic HTML and Photoshop skills a plus
- Must be available nights and weekends
Per the NYC pay transparency law, the hiring range for this position is an hourly rate of $22. The actual offer will carefully consider a wide range of factors, including your work experience, education, skills and any other factors Major League Baseball (MLB) considers relevant to the hiring decision.