KUER is looking for an ambitious reporter to cover statewide issues of growth, wealth and poverty as well as the diverse politics, culture and more of Central Utah. The successful candidate will be based in Utah’s Provo-Orem metropolitan area and be part of KUER’s statewide team of curious and compassionate journalists. In 2021, Provo was the 8th fastest growing metro in the country. It’s home to Brigham Young University, owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Utah Valley University, which has the largest student population in the state, and sits between agricultural lands and a burgeoning tech industry. As the state continues to grow, this area is a microcosm of how Utah deals with cultural and economic change. Seeking to explain this transition, the reporter will be responsible for producing compelling and thought-provoking daily stories and long-form features across radio, web and other digital platforms.
KUER serves Utahns with trustworthy news and information, expertly crafted stories and conversations featuring diverse voices from around our state. To provide this essential public service, we’re dedicated to building an organizational culture that prioritizes collaboration. We know an inclusive and equitable work environment is essential to our success.
We are committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff whose perspectives are heard and valued. We strongly encourage people of color, women, transgender and non-binary people, people with disabilities and those from other groups historically underrepresented in our industry to apply.
- One to three years of previous professional journalism experience
- Sound news judgment and knowledge of journalistic best practices
- A portfolio demonstrating strong interviewing, broadcast and digital writing, fact-checking and audio production skills
- An understanding of public radio, radio broadcasting and AP Style
- Ability to explain complex economic and political concepts and processes to a lay audience in a conversational, accessible way
- Excellent communicator, team player and problem solver with demonstrated human relations skills
- Ability to work independently from a bureau situated about an hour from the primary newsroom, while partnering with editorial staff and colleagues via video conferencing, instant messaging and email
- Ability to proactively find and report stories on a wide-range of topics and locations
- Ability to meet deadlines while maintaining high quality journalism
- A passion for creative storytelling that serves distinctive communities, including a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion to align with station goals and culture
- Ability to build trust and be mindful of diverse voices on their team and in the community
- Willingness to learn, grow and innovate
- Two to four years of previous professional journalism experience
- Comfort with digital photography and social media
- The ability to write and speak fluently in a second language, especially Spanish
- Previous experience in communicating with and/or telling the stories of underrepresented groups