(Sunday-Thursday or Tuesday-Saturday)
KUNC is an NPR affiliate in Greeley, Colorado that serves a large audience around the state including Denver, Boulder, Fort Collins, eastern Colorado and mountain communities. We are seeking an experienced Reporter & Producer for our growing and award-winning newsroom. Our ideal candidate has a solid foundation of reporting skills and radio production, and a desire to work as part of a team with a can-do attitude for meeting expectations.
The Reporter/Producer works closely with KUNC’s editorial team and the Colorado Edition team to produce relevant and engaging content that’s primarily focused on rural and small community issues, including the rural/urban divide, rural health and education, demographic shifts, mountain communities, and agribusiness.
Reporter/Producer creates sound-rich, in-depth audio and web features. Reporter/Producer also produces news content for newscasts and web. Reporter/Producer produces content regularly for our daily local news program, Colorado Edition.
The Reporter & Producer is a professional who knows how to manage their time, works well with superiors and colleagues, brings a flair for writing and storytelling – all while being fair, accurate and ethical.
Specific Job Duties:
In-depth & Enterprise Reporting
Reporter/Producer works closely with the editorial team to identify and report on issues and stories within the beat of “rural and small communities”. In-depth features typically include audio and digital reporting with sound rich storytelling, multiple voices and sources, and a balanced reporting approach.
Newscast & Digital Reporting
Reporter/Producer works closely with the editorial team to identify and report on daily news to provide content to our daily newscasts and website. Ideally newscasts items will be related to the beat of “rural and small communities”, but general reporting assignments for newscasts and web reporting may be necessary as well.
Colorado Edition Production
Reporter/Producer works closely with the Colorado Edition team to produce segments of our daily news program. Segments can include 2-ways, audio postcards, roundtables, etc.
- Participates in station on-air fundraising.
- Participates in community engagement events
- Performs other duties and attend trainings as assigned.
Preferred Experience, Skills & Education:
- We prefer candidates with a public radio background but are open to training an applicant with news reporting experience in other media who shows a strong desire to transition to public radio reporting in the NPR style.
- Multimedia skills (audio editing, news writing for web, photography/video, social media, etc.).
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible with reporting assignments while still meeting deadlines.
- Ability to work collaboratively, demonstrating an understanding and respect for public broadcasting in general and the diverse constituencies it serves.
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field and one year of experience in journalism.
- Bilingual in Spanish is a plus but not required.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- The ability to remain in a stationary position frequently.
- The ability to occasionally move about inside the office to access office machinery, co- workers’ offices, etc.
- The ability to frequently operate a computer and other office productivity machinery such as a laptop, office printer, telephones, etc.
- The ability to frequently communicate with clients and co-workers, via telephone, email and other means of communication as required.
- The work environment is primarily in an office area with moderate noise levels and moderate requirements for physical exertion, mostly lifting of personal computers, promotional items, etc. Occasionally requires/asks employee to travel to and from promotional activities and meetings with potential & current sources and co-workers.
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
We offer competitive salaries and generous benefits including health & dental care, life & short-term disability insurance, 403b retirement, and more. KUNC is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity in the workplace.
SELECTION PROCESS: Application deadline is 11:59 p.m. MT on 12/06/19.
Please submit a resume, cover letter and samples of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org. KUNC is an equal opportunity employer and encourages workplace diversity.
You will receive an email acknowledgment when you have successfully applied. Your completed application will be forwarded to the hiring team. You will be notified if you are selected for further testing or interviews via email. Please keep your contact information up-to- date.