Come join a dynamic new national media powerhouse focused on the over-the-air TV consumer. The Scripps Networks (a growing portfolio of entertainment and news networks) provides absorbing entertainment and objective, intelligent news as we use our own distribution platforms to serve this unduplicated national audience. We meet the audience where it is with the programs it wants.
Responsible for developing, pitching and producing creative content for a nightly, context-driven show on 24/7 news network, Newsy. The Segment Producer must have a in-depth understanding of production within a newsroom environment and a passion for storytelling that deepens viewers’ understanding of important topics and events.
What you’ll do:
- Pitch, develop, book, direct and write packaged and interview segments
- Lead talent and crew for taped video productions by organizing the segment elements; including graphics, aggregated footage and any necessary components to accomplish the task
- Responsible for delivering quick-turn, high-priority projects while executing consistently high-quality production value
- Copy edit scripts and work with other staff and production personnel to ensure accuracy and journalistic standards
- Cultivate and develop contacts and sources
- Book guests
- Work closely with network talent, line producers and/or post editors on final production
- Create banners and basic rundown timing
What you’ll bring:
Education & Experience/Certifications
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- 3-5 years of experience in television production as a show producer
- Experience producing stories at all stages of development from pitch to air
Skills & Abilities
- Must be proficient in shooting, writing and editing
- Strong interviewing and writing skills, the ability to oversee and coordinate all creative elements to support the story including acquiring and clearing footage, scheduling talent, experts, crews and editors
- Solid experience booking, story development and strong visual skills
- Must have solid social media experience and be well connected
- Excellent leadership skills to interface with co-workers and our diverse community
- Must be able to communicate and lead team through daily deadlines and delivery schedules
- Proven time-management skills
Newsy is the leading cross-platform television news network that provides straightforward, opinion-free news to inform and engage by delivering the top stories across every platform. Its content is available over-the-air and on connected TV platforms including Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV and Google Chromecast as well as over-the-top services including YouTube TV, Sling TV, Pluto TV, Xumo, Samsung TV+ and Vizio WatchFree. Newsy also is available via its mobile apps and at newsy.com. Newsy is a wholly owned subsidiary of The E.W. Scripps Company (NASDAQ: SSP).
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.
SCRIPPS’ COMMITMENT TO EQUITY, DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION:
At Scripps, we are committed to a diverse and inclusive culture that reflects the communities we serve. We are intentional about creating an environment where employees, our audiences and other stakeholders feel valued and inspired to reach their full potential and make authentic connections. We foster a workplace culture that embraces each person’s diversity, including the extent to which they are similar or different. Scripps leaders believe that an equitable and inclusive culture is not only the right thing to do, it is a business imperative. Read more about our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion at scripps.com.
The E.W. Scripps Company (NASDAQ: SSP) is a diversified media company focused on creating a better-informed world. As the nation’s fourth-largest local TV broadcaster, Scripps serves communities with quality, objective local journalism and operates a portfolio of 61 stations in 41 markets. The Scripps Networks reach nearly every American through the national news outlets Court TV and Newsy and popular entertainment brands ION, Bounce, Grit, Laff and Court TV Mystery. Scripps is the nation’s largest holder of broadcast spectrum. Scripps runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, “Give light and the people will find their own way.”
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.