Gizmodo Media Group is the publisher of the web’s most original and fearless media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Jezebel, Deadspin, Splinter, Jalopnik, and The Root. As part of G/O Media, we reach an audience of 120+ million visitors a month — more than one-third of all Americans.
About the Role:
We’re looking for a versatile, experienced reporter to join Earther, Gizmodo’s climate and environmental vertical. We’re looking for someone with a critical eye and the ability to ask (and answer) big questions about the climate crisis. The ideal candidate should plan to carve out their own beat, but also be willing and able to cover the climate themes in Big Little Lies on Monday, a Category 5 storm that hits Tuesday, and the new Democratic climate plan that drops on Wednesday. And you should constantly be thinking about the future, particularly the next decade and the promise and peril it holds for humanity.
More than anything, Earther values putting people at the center of its climate reporting. That can be politicians, indigenous groups, or everyday people. At the end of the day, the climate crisis is a story about us. If you want to chronicle that story, this might be the job for you.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- At least 3-5 years newsroom experience at a major digital or print outlet
- Demonstrated ability to cover a wide array of climate topics. Experience covering the weather, U.S. politics, and/or culture strongly preferred
- A go-to network of experts and sources for quick, authoritative comment
- Experience scripting and hosting video is excellent, but not required
- Comfort writing analysis, breaking news, and investigative features
- A willingness to work with a small, collaborative team
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
This is a position covered under the collective bargaining agreement with the WGA-E.