The Atlantic has, for more than 160 years, advanced ideas that matter and sparked global conversation on the most important issues of our time. We aim to bring clarity and original thinking to questions of consequence, on topics ranging from politics, the economy, and global affairs to technology, science, and culture. As the third-longest-running magazine in America, we find ourselves at a remarkable moment: one of both continuation and transformation, of upholding our legacy while continuously reinventing ourselves for the future.
The Atlantic is looking for an experienced journalist to oversee our growing Audience team. The ideal candidate will be an energetic and natural leader with impeccable judgment who is drawn to experimentation and thrives in a fast-paced environment. You should be creative and opportunistic in your approach to audience work. You should have well-informed opinions about how the social web is evolving, and an open mind about what’s possible.
Success in this role will require a deep understanding of our stories and mission; fluency on the social web and a nuanced understanding of how and why people use different platforms; a strong track-record of helping to build and lead an audience team including management experience; and an aptitude for building relationships with audiences and platforms.
The Atlantic’s audience team programs the homepage, social platforms, and a mobile app. You will be responsible for developing a growing and engaged audience for our journalism consistent with The Atlantic’s values, journalistic standards, and brand, and will oversee a growing team. You will collaborate with editors and writers across the newsroom, and with colleagues across the company, to meet The Atlantic’s audience goals. This role reports to the managing editor.
In this role you will:
- Oversee the ambitious Audience team
- Explore potential opportunities with new platforms, including TikTok
- Develop a deep understanding of our core audience
- Develop a mastery of Atlantic journalism—including our 165 years of archives
- Help shape and prioritize The Atlantic’s presence across our own platforms and the social web
- Be fluent in a variety of platforms and skilled at navigating them as they evolve
- Help develop and maintain partnerships
- Build and execute thoughtful audience tactics, with an eye for experimentation and growth
- Explore new engagement and distribution opportunities across platforms
- Collaborate across the newsroom
- Demonstrate impeccable journalistic judgment and excellent news instincts
- Work with Product and Engineering colleagues to optimize functionality of homepage, app, and platforms
- Partner closely with the insights editor and SEO team to maximize The Atlantic’s presence on search
- Available to work occasional evening and weekend shifts
The Atlantic Monthly Group LLC and its affiliates (“The Atlantic”) are Equal Opportunity Employers. We do not discriminate against our applicants because of race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Job offers to work at The Atlantic are contingent upon the candidate’s successful completion of a background check, reference checks, pre-employment screening, and compliance with The Atlantic’s COVID-19 vaccination policy. The Atlantic requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19, including subsequent boosters, and submit proof of vaccination status. Employees who cannot receive the vaccine because of a disability/medical contraindication or sincerely-held religious belief may request an accommodation (e.g., an exemption) to this requirement.