The Stone Alliance Group is assisting NPR and its member stations on finding talent for their Senior Editor opening. They are creating an innovative new system of regional news hubs designed to reshape the journalism landscape — and the prototype is being built in Texas.
We’re looking for s Senior Editor to help link local, regional and national news efforts on radio and digital platforms. This position will be employed in San Antonio at Texas Public Radio, one of the Texas Hub’s managing stations.
The Senior Editors will work together to run daily operations, editing and coordinating features, spots and newscasts for Texas audiences while identifying and producing content with national appeal for NPR audiences.
The Senior Editors are the center of communication for daily content, keeping the Managing Editor apprised of developing stories and updating station and network editors as warranted. They create and update schedules, and edit newscasts as assigned.
The Senior Editors have the responsibility for crafting high-quality stories for on-air and digital platforms. They will move fluidly between platforms and will organize workflows and daily responsibilities accordingly.
As part of their responsibility for high-quality statewide news coverage, the Senior Editors will report stories themselves as needed.
The Senior Editors will enforce quality control, conducting regular aircheck review/critique sessions with reporters about on-air and digital content. They’ll lead coaching and training sessions within the Hub and with station staffs.
The Senior Editor will take responsibility for a portfolio of topics (immigration, education, state politics, etc.), communicating regularly with station reporters and network editors covering those topics. They will use their awareness and topical expertise to identify opportunities for enterprise reporting, convene brainstorming sessions and connect with the work of NPR beat teams.
- Plan and edit content generated through the Hub: audio, digital and video. Provide both front-end and hands-on editing for breaking news, feature and enterprise stories, working with station and network reporters and newscasters.
- Create and update daybook, ensuring that changes in story focus and deadlines are transparent to both stations and NPR.
- Report daily and breaking stories as needed. Deploy to cover major stories and disasters.
- Conduct regular airchecks/critiques of reporters. Provide feedback and coaching, in collaboration with station news leaders. Critique digital content, make improvements in real-time as needed, establish best practices.
- Edit statewide newscasts as assigned.
- Enforce editorial and ethical standards for content managed through the Hub.
- Strong leadership skills, demonstrated by project, beat or newsroom accomplishment.
- At least two years of editing experience. Strong audio and digital editing skills, as demonstrated by work samples and recommendations.
- Experience with or familiarity of public media.
- Experience planning and editing coverage across platforms. Understanding of both on-air and digital journalism production; experience in both platforms preferred.
- Dedication to diversity in sourcing, topics and approaches is a must.
- Commitment to editorial standards of accuracy, thoroughness, ethics, balance and diversity.
- Ability to exercise sound news judgment and generate factual, error-free copy quickly in breaking news situations.
- Strong content editing/proofreading abilities, including knowledge of AP style.
- Strategic thinker with project-management vision and experience.
- Ability to report from and work in the field as assigned.
- Dedication to diversity a must.
- Valid driver’s license and insurance required for assignments/activities that involve work outside of the office. Must maintain a clean driving record.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree in journalism or related field or equivalent required; media or journalism degree preferred.
- Experience working in a collaborative organization.
- Experience editing video.
- Deep knowledge of Texas people, cultures, issues, and geography as well as national and international issues, and events.
- Passionate and enthusiastic about online journalism and news opportunities in Texas.
- Fluent in multiple languages. Spanish-language skills are a plus.
The Senior Editors will work staggered shifts.
- Sunday through Thursday
- Tuesday through Saturday
They will deliver fresh audio and digital content on the weekends, ensure coverage for breaking stories and prepare content to help kickstart Monday coverage on the radio and on digital platforms.
***Position may be eligible for relocation. To apply for this position, click here.