Senior Newsroom Growth Expert
News Revenue Hub (Remote)
Starting salary: $90,000
Location: Remote (Permanent)
Reports to: Director of Consulting
Deadline to apply: March 12, 2023
News Revenue Hub, a nonprofit that builds web-based products and provides consulting to news organizations in service of the public good, is looking for a dynamic, data-savvy growth expert to support the newsrooms we work with.
A member of our Consulting Team, the Senior Newsroom Growth Expert is a creative thought leader and strategic problem-solver. You’re comfortable working independently to develop strategy, but inspired by coaching, cultivating, and solution-setting for others.
At the Hub, you’ll work with our most prominent newsrooms, leading high value projects and sprints that aim to solve the industry’s biggest challenges. Some examples could include: developing an audience strategy for a startup; facilitating news product strategy; or overseeing high-level data analysis. You’ll also be our go-to expert and trend-spotter when newsrooms come to us with burning questions about their analytics.
We welcome and encourage applicants with non-traditional career paths. If you don’t exactly meet the qualifications outlined here, please apply and tell us how your own experiences would equip you for the job.
Regular duties include:
- Develop and lead client-facing projects from start to finish, working collaboratively with team members and recruiting contractors where needed. Design and execute custom deliverables such as slide decks, roadmaps, reports, and more.
- Coach newsroom executives and other stakeholders – and convince them using the data – to adopt the most current practices of audience growth, news product development, analytics, and more. Develop recommendations and lead sprints with clients to improve funnel performance.
- Work with team members to execute deliverables for Hub newsrooms; act as a problem-solver in a pinch when teammates require assistance with deliverables including but not limited to analytics. Serve as primary point of contact for clients that are assigned to you.
- Identify and contribute to the development of scalable, marketable, and maintainable newsroom products such data dashboards/databases, voter guides, or analytics configurations. When necessary, work with product and engineering teams to ensure initiatives are properly vetted and scoped.
- Evangelize for and help implement Agile principles on your team and within the organization. Lead and participate in retrospective exercises with internal stakeholders when they pertain to your work.
- Document everything you do in Confluence – from projects to processes to key learnings. Contribute to and continuously improve company-wide documentation.
- Evangelize for your work; help produce blog posts that highlight key takeaways and Hub expertise.
- When needed, join business development and prospecting calls to assess opportunities; help vet and scope new projects.
- Collaborate internally to help keep the Hub Slack lively, showcasing impressive findings and client outcomes. Build a strong sense of camaraderie among our clients and encourage them to provide their own insights and ideas.
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills: you communicate clearly, concisely – and early – with those around you; you’re always excited about something new to tackle and you can improvise easily.
- Demonstrated experience in development of editorial products in a newsroom; demonstrated experience leading, developing and executing audience growth strategies. 5+ years working in a newsroom environment preferred.
- Proven advanced understanding of data and analytics tools such as Google Analytics and Parse.ly. Experience configuring these tools. Experience working with data to prove ideas, drive insight, and set goals.
- Organization skills: You’ll be managing projects and developing custom outcomes for our clients; you’re someone who stays on top of things, sets and meets clear deadlines, and contributes to documentation every step of the way.
- The ability to self-motivate, self-manage and work remotely.
- Agile experience: Familiar with Agile processes including running sprints, retrospectives, prioritizing, and managing backlogs.
- Proficiency in ticketing systems like Jira and wikis like Confluence.