Scientific American, the oldest continuously published magazine in the U.S., reaches millions of people each month through its print magazine, app, social media and on ScientificAmerican.com. We publish expert-written opinions and feature stories; news and feature articles by leading journalists; and award-winning graphics, art and multimedia. Our work is translated in more than 20 international magazine editions that are read around the world.
Scientific American seeks a Senior Opinion Editor to help manage our print and digital opinion and analysis coverage.
Scientific American’s opinion department covers all fields of science, health, the environment, technology and related political and policy issues. We are particularly interested in a candidate with space/physics knowledge. The Senior Opinion Editor will work alongside the Chief Opinion Editor to commission insightful, timely and well-supported opinion and analysis pieces for print and online. The Senior Opinion Editor will work closely with other senior staff to identify and cover the most important events and issues in ways that complement Scientific American’s news, features and multimedia content. The editor should have, or be well positioned to develop, a network of writers with a wide variety of expertise and lived experience. We particularly value contributions from writers who have been historically underrepresented in STEM and journalism. The Opinion Editor should be eager to work with professional writers as well as scientists and scholars from different fields and career stages.
The Senior Opinion Editor will be responsible for commissioning and editing opinion pieces from expert sources. The editor will also respond to pitches and work with writers to develop their essays. The editor will work with the Chief Opinion Editor and other members of the Scientific American team to publish opinion pieces frequently.
- Commission and edit several opinion pieces from expert sources every week
- Respond to pitches and work with experts to develop their essays
- Develop awareness of timely issues in science, science policy and the scientific community
- Help identify breaking news stories and trending topics for Opinion coverage
- Contribute to team discussions, idea generation and editorial strategy
- Work with Chief Opinion Editor and other Scientific American editors to shape the publication’s Opinion strategy
- At least 5 years as a working journalist, including experience editing or writing opinion content.
- A college/university degree.
- Candidates are preferred who have experience covering space and physics.
- Excellent news judgment, strong organizational skills, a collaborative approach, deep knowledge of best publishing practices and a commitment to social justice.
- Broad knowledge of science or related fields and their intersection with social issues.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and on tight deadlines
- A commitment to advancing diversity, equity, inclusion and justice
How to apply: By Nov. 27th, please upload your cover letter, resume and three clips.
Location: New York City or Washington, D.C. on hybrid working model.
If you are an internal applicant please inform your line manager.
Springer Nature US provides a comprehensive and competitive benefits package which includes the benefit offerings listed below:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- 401(k) with company match and contribution
- Hybrid office working policy, Summer Hours, and paid time off
- Flexible Spending and Commuter programs
- Multiple Life insurance options
- Disability coverage
- Tuition Assistance
- Voluntary benefits: Identity Theft Protection, Pet Insurance, and Legal Assistance Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Family friendly benefits and a variety of employee discounts
- An array of Employee Social Networks
Annualized Base Salary Range: $91,000 – $115,000. The salary offer may vary based on work experience, education and skill level.
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following “Equal Employment Opportunity Is The Law” poster.
At Springer Nature we value the diversity of our teams. We recognize the many benefits of a diverse workforce with equitable opportunities for everyone. We strive for an inclusive workplace that empowers all our colleagues to thrive. Our search for the best talent fully encompasses and embraces these values and principles.