With more than 7 million (and counting) completed survey responses in the past year, Morning Consult’s technology-driven approach is redefining how public opinion data is collected, visualized, and measured.
Morning Consult is hiring a reporter for the Morning Consult Health vertical, which covers the health care industry and related policy. We’re looking for an energetic and entrepreneurial candidate who has a deep understanding of the health care industry and will be able to discover and synthesize information and data to inform our audience’s business strategy. We’re looking for a journalist who can break news on regulations and policy affecting the health care industry, write smart, timely data-driven stories and highlight emerging trends.
The reporter will be responsible for crafting a daily email briefing that is delivered to tens of thousands of subscribers that expertly curates health care industry news, data, events and commentary to provide health care industry executives with the information essential to starting their day. The ideal candidate will also write forward-looking analyses, incorporating Morning Consult’s proprietary survey research data, and look to break news on the beat that helps our audience stay ahead of the issues and trends impacting their industry.
In an increasingly competitive landscape, our coronavirus coverage has stood out. Just as health officials were sounding early alarms on looming shortages of personal protective equipment, we were the first to report on the Department of Veteran Affairs’ intent to unlock its reserve supply of drugs and medical supplies. In the weeks before the disease took hold in the United States, we looked at how World Health Organization and CDC officials were working to ensure that the development of the 2020-21 influenza vaccine wouldn’t be compromised by coronavirus-related efforts.
Before the pandemic, we reported on everything from which social determinants of health are most predictive of emergency care to the ongoing battle over surprise billing. We’ve also closely tracked changing attitudes in public opinion on “Medicare for All” — from the height of the Democratic presidential primary to the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic — as well as the Affordable Care Act.
Success in this role requires superb news judgment, an understanding of trends at the nexus of health care policy and business strategy, and an unrelenting attention to detail. Most of all, ideal candidates will be able to put themselves in the shoes of their audience to strategically identify and synthesize the news topics critical to business executives.
- Curate our daily morning email briefing, focused on the latest news, trends and events in the health care industry
- Break news in the health care regulatory and legislative spaces to help our audience stay ahead of potential changes to their industry
- Write stories and analyses about industry trends and policy developments, using Morning Consult’s proprietary survey research when possible, that help health care industry professionals better understand these trends
- Develop a high-level network of industry sources with the goal of breaking news that helps our health subscribers better understand their industry
- Stay up to date on industry trends and their effect on policy discussions and business strategy
- Continuously improve through feedback
- Contribute to other division-specific strategic projects as necessary
- Perform such other tasks and duties as may be required or assigned from time to time at the Company’s discretion
- 7+ years of experience working in or covering the health care industry
- Have deep understanding of the health industry and related policy, the key players and the trends and information that matter most to improving business strategies
- Experience analyzing industry trends and data and can succinctly synthesize why it matters to health care executives
- Excellent writing ability
- Ability to manage multiple projects independently while paying strict attention to detail
- Excellent computer skills and a willingness to learn advanced technical tools
- Experience working with survey research/polling data is a plus
About Morning Consult: Named one of the fastest growing technology companies in North America by Deloitte, Morning Consult is revolutionizing ways to collect, organize, and share survey research data to transform how global leaders in business and government make decisions. With offices in New York, San Francisco, Chicago, and Washington D.C., Morning Consult provides research, news, and brand-tracking technology for over 200 of the world’s biggest companies and industry associations. Additionally, Morning Consult conducts regular surveys for major media organizations including POLITICO, The Hollywood Reporter, Bloomberg, and The New York Times. We are committed to a work environment that is inclusive to all and free of discrimination. It is our policy to be an equal opportunity employer without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, ability, citizenship status or any other factors prohibited by law. Morning Consult will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals.
|Job Category||Communications, Print|