FiveThirtyEight is seeking a collaborative and creative Senior Visual Journalist to join our data and interactives team. Senior Visual Journalists are design leaders in the FiveThirtyEight newsroom. Though they serve primarily as individual contributors, they also amplify the work of the team by mentoring more junior visual journalists, thoughtfully giving and receiving feedback and leading by example. We’re looking for a seasoned designer and developer who will exercise strong news judgment, bring a sharp eye for detail and hold our work to the highest standards.
The Senior Visual Journalist will report to the Editorial Director of Data Analytics and work closely with the rest of the interactives team as well as reporters and editors across the newsroom. This full-time role with benefits is a U.S.-based position. This is a hybrid role with our offices in New York City or Washington, D.C. We have a preference for candidates based in those areas.
- Producing highly polished, visually impactful stories and projects that attract, excite and engage our readers
- Leading the design process for larger projects, including our 2024 election forecast, by creating principles, specifications and other documentation that enable work to be delegated to the team
- Contributing to a rotation of daily charts production and “seconding” less experienced visual journalists
- Inspiring, mentoring and guiding teammates and colleagues in their visual work
- Participating in larger strategic conversations about visual style, site design, branding, accessibility and more
- Giving thoughtful, candid feedback to peers, colleagues and managers and openly receiving it in turn
- Three or more years of relevant experience
- Proficiency using design software, particularly Adobe Illustrator
- Fluency in basic statistics — for example, a conversational understanding of concepts such as margin of error and regression analysis
- Eagerness to collaborate with other visual journalists, computational journalists, reporters and editors across the newsroom
- Experience working on deadline
- Five or more years of relevant experience
- A solid understanding of U.S. politics, particularly electoral politics
- Experience with statistical programming languages, particularly R
- Experience with cartography and mapping tools, such as QGIS and TopoJSON
- Experience with product design, such as user research, rapid prototyping and user testing
Interested candidates are strongly encouraged to apply even if they don’t meet every qualification.
ABC News is America’s No. 1 news source, providing straightforward, fact-driven journalism across broadcast, streaming, digital and audio. ABC’s award-winning programs include “Good Morning America,” “World News Tonight with David Muir,” “Nightline,” “20/20,” “This Week with George Stephanopoulos,” “GMA3: What You Need to Know,” and “The View”. Other platforms include ABC News Live, the network’s 24/7 streaming channel; ABC News Studios, a premium, narrative nonfiction original production house; ABC News Digital, comprised of a diverse audience of more than 53 million monthly average users; ABC Audio, the premier source for radio news and industry-leading podcasts; FiveThirtyEight, renowned data journalism organization; and NewsOne, the affiliate news service. Based in New York City, ABC News is comprised of three U.S. bureaus and eight international bureaus, with a presence in more than 20 countries around the world.
The hiring range for this position in New York, NY is $118,000 to $158,200 per year and in Washington, DC is $118,000 to $158,200 per year. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate’s geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
About ABC News:
The Disney General Entertainment Content group creates original entertainment and news content for the Company’s streaming platforms and its cable and broadcast networks.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: Disney Entertainment, ESPN, Disney Parks, and Experiences and Products. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business we call ABC News.
American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.