Starbucks Stories, Public Relations & Communications, SSC – Seattle, WA
Job Number: (190001679)
US-WA-Seattle-Starbucks Support Center Starbucks – Public Relations and Communications
Senior Writer: Opportunity and Inclusion / Starbucks Stories
The Global Public Affairs and Communications organization at Starbucks Coffee Company is looking for an experienced news and features writer who specializes in storytelling about humanity, for our Starbucks Stories team. Fascinated by the societal forces that create needs and opportunities in communities? Thrive on telling the untold human stories behind them? Get your best story ideas from the people in the morning coffee line (and have an affection for the barista in the green apron)? Then you may have the right instincts to join our growing reporting and writing team covering our Opportunity and Inclusion beat.
The writer we’re looking for is an experienced reporter who is a keen observer of human interaction within the larger trends of our time. This writer has a portfolio of storytelling that showcases an evocative writing style that inspires, motivates and moves – whether to laughter or tears. This writer will play a pivotal role on the Starbucks Stories team as the company leans into culturally and socially relevant original content.
This is a unique opportunity to join a forward-thinking, fast-paced, hands-on, results-driven team as it grows and evolves to most effectively tell global, impactful stories. Things happen quickly here and the role demands a team player who thrives in a fast-paced environment. If you love to tell stories and lead by example, if you’re as inspired by people stories as you are passionate about making a difference, then we want to talk to you about being a part of the next-generation Starbucks Stories team.
Starbucks is looking for a news and features writer with extensive digital writing, reporting and multimedia experience in a major metropolitan market or at a national news outlet, and ideally also at a high-visibility consumer brand or public-facing non-profit organization. This writer will have expertise in social issues and a track record of compelling, human-centered storytelling. Reporting to the director of storytelling on the Starbucks Stories team.
- In close partnership with the director of storytelling, editor-in-chief and a multifunctional team of writers, social media experts, designers and visual storytellers, evolve and elevate the storytelling and strategy of the Starbucks Stories team.
- Collaborate across the company to conceive of and create compelling globally relevant stories with an authentic voice.
- Work across platforms to grow social, audio and video content and strategy.
- Ensure the newsworthiness, intrigue, authenticity, accuracy and timeliness of reported stories, always with the utmost in ethics and accuracy.
- Work with aplomb and on deadline within ambiguity and confidentiality.
- 7+ years experience reporting on complex subjects through a lens of humanity in a major market or at a national news outlet is required; additional experience writing stories at a high-visibility consumer brand or public-facing organization preferred.
- Expertise interviewing people from the corner office to the coffee shop.
- A proven commitment to multiple sourcing, fairness and accuracy paired with a nose for news / keen understanding of audience expectations.
- A portfolio of storytelling for diverse media channels (e.g. written word, video, social media).
- A track record of working successfully in a matrixed, global collaborative setting.
- An attention to detail in both written and visual contexts and an “always on” newsroom sense of urgency, dependability and accessibility.
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, digital media or related field.
- Passion for working at Starbucks and making a difference in the world.
Applicants: Please provide a cover letter, resume and writing samples in your application.
Starbucks and its brands are an equal opportunity employer of all qualified individuals, including minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities. Starbucks will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with all federal, state, and local ordinances.
|Job Category||Communications, Multimedia|