The Indigenous Leadership Initiative (ILI) is dedicated to facilitating the strengthening of Indigenous nationhood for the fulfillment of the Indigenous cultural responsibility to our lands, the emergence of new generations of Indigenous leaders, and to helping communities develop the skills and capacity that they will need as they continue to become fully respected and equally treated partners in Canada’s system of governance and its economic and social growth.
ILI is a partner in the International Boreal Conservation Campaign (IBCC). The campaign works directly with dozens of First Nations and collaborates with other Indigenous and environmental NGOs, and organizational and individual partners.
ILI seeks a Community Manager to help launch social media channels, build audiences and engage our online community on a regular basis. This includes social media for ILI’s brand, as well as a campaign that ILI is spearheading designed to build grassroots and political support for Indigenous-led conservation.
The Community Manager will work in collaboration with other content creators and community managers and report to the ILI Director and IBCC Strategic Communications Director. This is a contract position for roughly 20-25 hours per week, and the work will be done remotely with occasional travel.
- Post content according to campaign standards and editorial calendar
- Find and curate external content for social media channels daily
- Write share text reflecting ILI’s messages
- Engage with community members on all channels
- Execute ad buys and paid promotions
- Provide analytics and analysis monthly to help guide content strategy
- Connect with partners to expand the bench of allies who share content
- Identify strategic opportunities to expand community and influence
- Ensure broad accessibility of posted content including use of English captions, French Canadian subtitles, and alt text.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in experience
- Proficiency with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn
- Experience in social media and online engagement tools, preferably Hootsuite and Sprout Social
- Strong writing for social media – short, effective and factual
- Ability to work independently with a dispersed team
- Working computer and consistent internet access a necessity
- Indigenous language fluency an asset
- Bilingual in French and English an asset
To apply, send a resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org