Social Media Strategist, School of Medicine
University of California, San Diego (San Diego, California)
The University Communications Public Relations team drives strategic outreach and engagement in support of internal and external communications for UC San Diego, while also contributing to content development in collaboration with University Communications Strategy colleagues.
University Communications PR professionals are expert storytellers who utilize best-in-class internal and external communications channels to deliver the unique stories of each of the University’s schools, seven colleges, and medical center. The PR function drives earned media efforts by cultivating and leveraging relationships with key regional, vertical and global media to elevate the university’s profile of prestige, distinction, and global leadership in research, medicine, science, engineering, technology, policy, management, the arts and more. The PR team also leads communications for the university’s distinguished research centers and institutes, including the Scripps Institute of Oceanography, Qualcomm Institute, and leading collaborations in robotics, energy, materials discovery, and design, and other emerging areas.
Additionally, the University Communications PR team serves as a critical resource for communications strategy and support for staff and faculty engagement communications initiatives in support of the university’s advancement, student affairs, human resources, and library functions by integrating and aligning with strategic university priorities and initiatives. Crisis communications are managed through this team.
Established in 1968, UC San Diego School of Medicine is the region’s only medical school. As a top-tier academic medical center, our mission is to serve our communities and create a healthier world by being the preeminent destination for transformative, innovative, and impactful research, medical education and clinical care.
The School of Medicine encompasses 500+ medical students, 900+ residents and fellows, 70+ combined MD/PhD students in our Medical Sciences Training Program, and 1,500+ physician and scientist faculty members.
We have long been at the forefront of translational – or “bench-to-bedside” – research, transforming patient care through discovery and innovation leading to new drugs and technologies. Translational research is carried out every day in the hundreds of clinical trials of promising new therapies offered through UC San Diego Health, and in the drive of our researchers and clinician-scientists who are committed to having a significant impact on patient care. Our alumni have achieved distinction as clinicians and innovators, in private practice, academia, and the public and corporate sector. In addition, many community-based physicians take advantage of our continuing medical education programs and many other opportunities to participate in rounds, lectures and symposia, helping them to remain abreast of new developments in their fields.
Reporting to the School of Medicine’s Director of Communications, the Strategist will create and implement a comprehensive strategy across the flagship School of Medicine (SOM) social media channels (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and YouTube) that will highlight stories in support the school’s medical education, research and clinical service missions.
Working closely with SOM and University Communications colleagues, the Strategist plans and develops content to manage, nurture and grow SOM’s social media channels and develop relationships with all audiences (prospective and current students, residents and fellows; alumni, faculty, staff, community stakeholders and friends of SOM). The Strategist will also collaborate with Health Sciences research communications, the Division of Medical Education, and current medical students and trainees in the ideation of content and campaign plans.
The Strategist is responsible for the daily posting of news, content and campaigns on all school-level social media channels. In collaboration with the SOM communications team, the strategist will help maintain a cross-channel content calendar and posts the right content at the right time to maximize interaction and engagement. They will build and nurture online communities, actively engage with users, identifies brand advocates/influencers and implement processes and procedures to regularly test, measure and improve digital engagement.
The Strategist is a seasoned expert when it comes to the latest social platforms, tools and technologies. They drive SOM-wide social media efforts, stay on the leading-edge of trends and technologies, are creative content creators, and advocate for new approaches that advance the School of Medicine. They will also serve as a mentor and resource for other social media managers throughout SOM’s department and divisions. As a member of the SOM communications team, the strategist also possesses excellent writing skills to translate scientific concepts in an engaging way.
The Social Media Strategist will be a strong facilitator and liaison to ensure alignment with and advance the SOM mission and goals. They will also promote a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion and acts in accordance with the principles of community. Provides superior customer service to internal and external constituents. Actively, deliberately and thoughtfully infuses inclusivity and diversity throughout university communications.
- Must maintain confidentiality of data.
- Must be willing to work flexible hours (occasional after-hours and weekends) and to commute to off-site locations.
- Please submit a cover letter for a complete application.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related area with 3-5 years of relevant experience, or equivalent experience/training.
- Thorough knowledge of social media platforms, content management systems and relevant web applications used for social media management. Thorough knowledge of the fundamentals of design and user experience, including skill to design in an appealing, lively and relevant way. Thorough expertise and proficiency in digital media content creation and administration.
- Experience in photo, graphic, and video production and publishing.
- Knowledge of digital media trends and best practices.
- Thorough skills to develop and implement original ideas and correctly identify and effectively solve problems. Knowledge of effective storytelling principles and ability to write succinct, evocative and engaging digital media posts. Thorough skills to develop and implement original ideas and correctly and effectively solve problems.
- Demonstrated skills to create, develop and implement comprehensive long- and short-term strategic communications plans.
- Proven ability to work both independently and as a team member. Ability to coordinate multiple assignments, prioritize work, function effectively under deadline pressure, and fulfill assignments on schedule. Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrated competency and commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Job offer is contingent on clear Background Check.
Our employees enjoy competitive compensation packages and educational opportunities in a diverse, stimulating workforce.
This position is eligible for full benefits first day of hire:
- Health/Dental/Vision Insurance.
- Vacation/holidays (15 vacation days & 14 paid holidays a year).
- Work/Life Balance.
- UC Retirement Plan.
- Pet Insurance.
For more information about UCSD Benefits please visit – https://blink.ucsd.edu/HR/benefits/index.html and UCSD Work/Life visit – https://blink.ucsd.edu/HR/benefits/work-life/quality-index/index.html.
Job offer is contingent on successful engagement in the UC COVID-19 Vaccination program (fully vaccinated with documented proof or approved exception/deferral).
To foster the best possible working and learning environment, UC San Diego strives to cultivate a rich and diverse environment, inclusive and supportive of all students, faculty, staff and visitors. For more information, please visit UC San Diego Principles of Community.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html