Sr. Manager, News Standards and Practices
NBCUniversal (New York, New York)
NBCUniversal owns and operates over 20 different businesses across 30 countries including a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks and a premium ad-supported streaming service. Here you can be your authentic self. As a company uniquely positioned to educate, entertain and empower through our platforms, Comcast NBCUniversal stands for including everyone. We strive to foster a diverse and inclusive culture where our employees feel supported, embraced and heard. We believe that our workforce should represent the communities we live in, so that together, we can continue to create and deliver content that reflects the current and ever-changing face of the world. Click here to learn more about Comcast NBCUniversal’s commitment and how we are making an impact.
The NBCUniversal News Group is seeking a Senior Standards Manager for digital and social media. Reporting to the SVP and Head of News Standards, this person will be part of the NBCU News Group Standards Team, and will serve as the team’s point person for NBCnews.com, MSNBC.com and for branded social media content. They will be working with managers in NBC News Digital to set and maintain editorial and ethical guidelines, and safeguard the credibility and integrity of our journalism on those platforms. They will also be part of the larger NBCU News Group Standards Team, and will contribute support and guidance to all platforms, including NBC News, MSNBC, CNBC, Telemundo and streaming platforms.
- Work with the senior level editorial teams across NBCU’s digital news platforms to set editorial and ethical standards guidelines
- Review articles, scripts and social posts for accuracy, fairness and adequate sourcing and attribution
- Consult with editorial leaders on difficult or complex publishing decisions with standards implications
- Help uphold overall news division-wide standards policies and guidelines;
- Provide guidance to journalists on NBCUniversal’s news standards
- Ensure that new and current employees are continually educated on News Group standards & practices
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree or higher
- At least 5 years experience working in a fast-paced daily, digital newsroom.
- Leadership or management experience
- Exceptional news and editorial judgment
- Flexibility around working hours, including weekends and evenings
- Ability to handle confidential material with complete discretion
- Proven ability to remain calm in a high pressure environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively and successfully with all levels of talent and management
- Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV through http://www.nbcunicareers.com to be considered
- Must be willing to work in New York, NY
- Must have the ability to organize and schedule work effectively while meeting deadlines.
- Must have ability to multitask.
- Strong business ethics, demonstrated professionalism and sound judgment.
- Prior experience in investigative journalism a plus.
- Familiarity with (or knowledge of) digital journalism and social media standards and practices.
- Self-starter; able to work independently and proactively.
- Strong writing and editorial skills.
- Must be open to learning and using new technology.
This position is eligible for company sponsored benefits, including medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401(k), paid leave, tuition reimbursement, and a variety of other discounts and perks. Learn more about the benefits offered by NBCUniversal by visiting the Benefits page of the Careers website. Salary range: $150,000-$180,000.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access nbcunicareers.com as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations in the US by calling 1-818-777-4107 and in the UK by calling +44 2036185726.