Come join a dynamic new national media powerhouse focused on the over-the-air TV consumer. The Scripps Networks (a growing portfolio of entertainment and news networks) provides absorbing entertainment and objective, intelligent news as we use our own distribution platforms to serve this unduplicated national audience. We meet the audience where it is with the programs it wants.The Senior Video Journalist is responsible for researching, writing, capturing visual content and editing stories for multiple platforms. They will deliver fact-based, unbiased and contextual reporting to a variety of platforms within the organization. Help direct coverage by guiding the leadership team with expertise and insight.
What you’ll do:
- Under general direction, develop sources, gather information, pitch stories and write news and features that are accurate, informative and balanced. Produces material — often investigative or long-form journalism — in a manner that meets the highest journalistic standards
- Produce, including shooting and editing, compelling and urgent reports both live and in package form
- Use cutting edge and experimental story-telling techniques to communicate with the audience
- Work independently to generate finished news packages, including shooting, writing, tracking and editing
- Monitor upcoming news stories and develop coverage plans; stay abreast of news developments to generate story ideas and plan coverage effectively
- Develops a network of formal and informal sources throughout the community to help develop and write stories as well as providing background information
- Assist with live events as needed
- Work with internal teams to deliver reports tailored to their needs
- May be responsible for entire projects or functions where general guidance and training of less experienced professional and/or support personnel are needed
What you’ll bring:
Education & Experience/Certifications
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field preferred
- Background in video news
- Five+ years experience in video news reporting required, preferably in a top 55 market
Skills & Abilities
- Superior writing and comprehension skills
- Ability to meet strict deadlines for broadcast programs
- Independently perform assignments with instruction limited to results expected
- Ability to perform multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Set an example in professional comportment and strict adherence to the journalistic standards of Scripps
- Proficiency with computers and related software
- Weekend (required), holiday and overtime as the news cycle demands
- Travel up to 30% as required
Newsy is the leading cross-platform television news network that provides straightforward, opinion-free news to inform and engage by delivering the top stories across every platform. Its content is available over-the-air and on connected TV platforms including Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV and Google Chromecast as well as over-the-top services including YouTube TV, Sling TV, Pluto TV, Xumo, Samsung TV+ and Vizio WatchFree. Newsy also is available via its mobile apps and at newsy.com. Newsy is a wholly owned subsidiary of The E.W. Scripps Company (NASDAQ: SSP).
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.#LI-KH2
SCRIPPS’ COMMITMENT TO EQUITY, DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION:
At Scripps, we are committed to a diverse and inclusive culture that reflects the communities we serve. We are intentional about creating an environment where employees, our audiences and other stakeholders feel valued and inspired to reach their full potential and make authentic connections. We foster a workplace culture that embraces each person’s diversity, including the extent to which they are similar or different. Scripps leaders believe that an equitable and inclusive culture is not only the right thing to do, it is a business imperative. Read more about our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion at scripps.com.
The E.W. Scripps Company (NASDAQ: SSP) is a diversified media company focused on creating a better-informed world. As the nation’s fourth-largest local TV broadcaster, Scripps serves communities with quality, objective local journalism and operates a portfolio of 61 stations in 41 markets. The Scripps Networks reach nearly every American through the national news outlets Court TV and Newsy and popular entertainment brands ION, Bounce, Grit, Laff and Court TV Mystery. Scripps is the nation’s largest holder of broadcast spectrum. Scripps runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, “Give light and the people will find their own way.”
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.