The New Republic is seeking a staff accountant to assist with the general accounting for the organization. This position reports to the controller and is based in New York City.
• Process accounts payable vouchers, invoices, and check requests weekly; process weekly check and wire transfer payments
• Prepare balance sheet reconciliation to ensure compliance and maintain reconciliation folders
• Manage monthly American Express card billing statement and ID set-up, including all receipt back-up documentation
• Maintain 1099 forms for writers and vendors; prepare forms at year end for tax processing and filing
• Provide ad-hoc schedules as requested
• Maintain analysis, record expense, and monthly P/L and B/S
• Fulfill audit requests as needed
• Additional requests and projects as needed
• 1-2 years of accounting experience
• Previous office management experience preferred
• Proficiency in Excel and ability to handle spreadsheets with large volumes of data
• A working knowledge of GAAP Accounting Principles
• Excellent analytical, organizational, and communication skills
• Innovation and creativity—a problem solver
• Ability to meet deadlines and handle multiple projects simultaneously
• Must possess a general understanding and ability to work with computers, office software, A/V equipment, printer/copying machines, and phones
• Bachelor’s degree required
The New Republic is committed to diversity and encourages members of underrepresented communities to apply, including women, LGBTQ people, people of color, people with criminal records, veterans and people with disabilities.
To apply, please submit a résumé and cover letter explaining why you’re right for this job. No phone calls or paper mail, please.
About The New Republic
The New Republic was founded in 1914 as a journal of opinion which seeks to meet the challenge of a new time. For over 100 years, we have championed progressive ideas and challenged popular opinion. Our vision for today revitalizes our founding mission for our new time. The New Republic promotes novel solutions for today’s most critical issues. We don’t lament intractable problems; our journalism debates complex issues and takes a stance. Our biggest stories are commitments for change.
Today, The New Republic is the voice of creative thinkers, united by a collective desire to challenge the status quo.