The Atlantic has, for more than 160 years, advanced ideas that matter and sparked global conversation on the most important issues of our time. We aim to bring clarity and original thinking to questions of consequence, on topics ranging from politics, the economy, and global affairs to technology, science, and culture. As the third-longest-running magazine in America, we find ourselves at a remarkable moment: one of both continuation and transformation, of upholding our legacy while continuously reinventing ourselves for the future.
We are seeking a driven, curious, and ideas-obsessed writer to share duties with the lead writer of our flagship newsletter, The Daily. You will be responsible for driving the conversation on news of the day with original pieces of analysis that will anchor two or three editions of the newsletter each week. As such, you should be deeply engaged with a wide-range of contemporary issues and events shaping life in the U.S. and abroad, even as you cultivate your own specific interests and proven areas of expertise within the newsletter.
This role requires an original thinker with a keen interest in advancing The Atlantic’s goal of hosting diverse viewpoints and heterodoxical arguments. The Daily reaches hundreds of thousands of readers every day, and helps them contextualize what is happening through the magazine’s lens. Part of that will include highlighting specific pieces of journalism from The Atlantic—including in your original writing and reporting, when relevant. You must be a writer with the authority to take on many different complex topics, and the humility and open-mindedness to appreciate a variety of viewpoints.
You will coordinate with the newsletter editor and lead writer to plan Daily coverage, and work with the editor to hone your angles, tighten your prose, and closely monitor reader engagement using newsletter metrics. Your news judgment, curiosity, and ability to cut to the heart of complex issues with impeccably reasoned ideas and lucid, persuasive writing will be central to the newsletter’s success.
In this role, you will:
- Write at least two or three original pieces of news analysis each week in coordination with your editor
- Deliver clean, clear-sighted copy while rigorously adhering to a daily deadline
- Closely monitor major domestic and international news, the online conversation, and the daily journalism of The Atlantic
- Find fresh angles on, or insights into, widely-covered events and issues
- Anticipate major news events and plan ahead as is possible to cover them
- Conduct occasional interviews to use in your writing as needed
- Monitor readers’ replies to build an understanding of The Daily’s audience
- 2+ years covering the news as a writer or reporter
- Stylish prose and a magazine sensibility
- Demonstrated ability to write incisive news analysis
- High metabolism for consuming and covering the news
- Deep interest in newsletters and the competitive field
The Atlantic Monthly Group LLC and its affiliates (“The Atlantic”) are Equal Opportunity Employers. We do not discriminate against our applicants because of race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Job offers to work at The Atlantic are contingent upon the candidate’s successful completion of reference checks and compliance with The Atlantic’s COVID-19 vaccination policy. The Atlantic requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19, including subsequent boosters, and submit proof of vaccination status. Employees who cannot receive the vaccine because of a disability/medical contraindication or sincerely-held religious belief may request an accommodation (e.g., an exemption) to this requirement.