Title: StateImpact Oklahoma Reporter
Reports to: StateImpact Oklahoma Managing Editor
StateImpact Oklahoma seeks a curious, eager and tenacious reporter to join a team of journalists investigating, exploring and explaining how government policy shapes people’s lives and livelihoods in Oklahoma. And beyond.
This reporter will file stories predominantly on education, its importance and its challenges.
With a focus primarily on education, this reporter will have an opportunity to tell stories that are essential to Oklahoma and across the nation, while working in concert with regional news partners and NPR. Almost 230,000 listeners and more than one million unique digital readers follow StateImpact Oklahoma reporting each week.
Established in 2012, StateImpact Oklahoma is an enterprise journalism collaboration of NPR member stations (KGOU, KOSU, KWGS and KCCU) in Oklahoma that focuses on bringing policy to people; it is funded by its partners and major gifts. Over the last eight years, StateImpact Oklahoma has won numerous awards, including a regional Edward R. Murrow Award for audio continuing coverage in 2015 and a national PRNDI award in 2017.
StateImpact Oklahoma reporters use data and file open-records requests, ask tough questions and knock on doors to uncover stories that reveal the impact of government policies and powerful institutions on real people, with emphasis on education, health, energy and environment, government and elections, and criminal justice.
The ideal candidate will have a strong record as a reporter with expertise in public policy issues, particularly education-related. Required experience and skills include:
- Bachelor’s Degree in journalism or related field (media or journalism degree preferred);
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience in reporting on education and/or public policy (public radio experience preferred);
- Sound news judgment and impeccable journalistic ethics;
- Excellent analytical, critical thinking and communication skills;
- Commitment to accuracy, fairness and diversity;
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with editor and other reporters and content partners;
- Ability to produce reports on complex issues in multiple formats, including digital and broadcast in-depths, spot news, features, documentaries, podcasts, blogs, two-ways, video and live events;
- Maintain excellent organizational and time-management skills;
- Represent StateImpact Oklahoma on outside media programs, through social media and direct community engagement; and
- Exhibit proficiency with audio and visual editing (video and digital).
Required applicant documents:
- Cover Letter
- Three (3) work samples/clips/links
Salary range is $36,000 – $45,000 per year, depending on skills and experience. The StateImpact Oklahoma reporter will be a University of Oklahoma employee, with University of Oklahoma benefits. The University of Oklahoma is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. Protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
The position is open until filled. The application is made online at https://jobs.ou.edu – search for requisition #191559. More information is available at http://kgou.org/jobs.
The Oklahoma City metro area ranked #50 in the 2018 Nielsen Radio Market Survey. In 2018, Oklahoma City was one of two cities recognized with America’s Most Livable Community Award presented by Partners for Livable Communities.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/pgrx5wt6hmdr6h62