In These Times is a progressive, nonprofit political magazine dedicated to supporting movements for economic, social, racial and environmental justice, with a special emphasis on workers’ rights and investigative reporting. Founded in 1976, the magazine has seen record growth over the past five years, as more and more people become engaged with democratic socialism, the movement for Black lives, and campaigns for workers’ rights.
We’re looking for a Story Editor (Web & Print) to join our Editorial team who can conceive, assign and edit stories across both web and print. We expect this position to be focused 80% on original web stories and 20% on stories for our print magazine.
We’re particularly interested in candidates with experience editing reported stories about labor, racial justice and climate. This is a full-time, union position that reports to the Executive Editor.
- Assign and edit web stories (80%) and print stories (20%) across a variety of topics
- Cultivate and maintain writer relationships to grow the roster of diverse voices that contribute to In These Times
- Help generate ideas for stories, regular coverage, and special reporting projects
- Work collaboratively with team members on story planning, art and promotions
- Keep abreast of developments in progressive politics and social movements
- For candidates with an interest and ability, there is potential for a portion of this position to be focused on writing and reporting original stories
The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of internet culture and communities, as well as how to write in a clear, engaging way for the internet. A journalism background is a plus but is not required. We encourage candidates who might not have all the experience listed to apply; for this role we value attitude, willingness to learn, commitment and flexibility. Additional requirements include:
- At least 3 years of experience as an editor for web and/or print journalism
- An understanding of and engagement with progressive politics and/or social movements
- Ability to tailor stories for both web and print publishing, with an eye towards creating engaging and unique stories
Though not requirements, additional consideration will be given to candidates with:
- Knowledge or sources in movements for workers’ rights and racial justice
- Writing experience
Salary and Benefits
Annual salary is $50,000 to $60,000, based on experience, with a scheduled 5% raise in April of 2023.
This is a full-time, 40-hour a week position with generous benefits, including:
- 100% paid medical, dental and vision insurance, including full coverage for partners and dependents
- 100% paid short-term and long-term disability insurance, as well as life insurance
- Employer matched (3%) SIMPLE IRA plan
- 16 paid holidays and 20 days paid vacation
- 15 weeks paid parental leave
In These Times is a NewsGuild union workplace, and this is a union position. Our offices are located in Chicago, Illinois, (just off the Western Blue Line) but we are currently working remotely due to the Covid-19 pandemic. We are open to this being a full-time remote position through March of 2023 and possibly longer.
In These Times is committed to diversity and encourages members of underrepresented communities to apply, including women, LGBTQ people, people of color and people with disabilities.
How to Apply
To apply, send a cover letter explaining why you are interested in the position, along with your CV and clips, to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Story Editor”. This position will remain open until it is filled. No phone calls.
In These Times is an equal opportunity employer. People of all classes, races, ethnicities, gender identities and abilities that are underrepresented in media are strongly encouraged to apply.
Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis, and we’re hoping to fill this position as soon as possible. If you’re interested, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible.V
View full job description here.
|Job Category||Digital, Print|