The E.W. Scripps Company is seeking an experienced Storytelling and Content Director.
We are seeking an exceptional storyteller that has demonstrated abilities as a Multimedia Journalist and has at least 5 years or more experience working as a Reporter for a major market TV station or Cable News outlet in Market Size 35 or above. The right person should be able to coach and mentor young journalists in how to take their skills to the next level.
The Storytelling and Content Director will be responsible for delivering on Scripps vision to create a better informed world through meaningful storytelling that embraces transparency, authenticity, and diversity of perspectives. The successful candidate must be able to use a variety of training methods to lead newsroom staff to sharpen their story telling skill set, ensure alignment with content strategy, and enable tangible results.
You MUST also include a link to a demo reel that will showcase your best work as a journalistic storyteller.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Serve as local media subject matter expert leading educational efforts to tell compelling stories and engage audiences across multiple platforms.
- Act as coach/consultant for newsroom staff, virtually and in-person, to improve team and individual and storytelling skills.
- Regularly review stories to identify small to mid-size stations who might benefit from group training.
- Collaborate with Learning & Leadership Development team to ensure alignment with projects & ensure adult learning principles are applied.
- Create and deliver training programs for newsroom staff that align with the content strategy.
- Develop/maintain productive, strategic relationships with various leaders, both in stations and at the corporate level.
- Key partner in identifying, assessing, and developing talent for news talent pipeline.
- Assess learning needs, develop learning objectives, content and prepare necessary training materials.
- Conduct virtual and on-site classroom training sessions.
- Track and report on completed sessions and results.
- Work with Learning & Leadership Development to evaluate effectiveness of training and continuously improve.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or related discipline.
- 5 or more years content experience in digital media, journalism, broadcast, or a closely related field is required.
- 5 or more years of experience reporting in market size 35 or above is preferred.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- Knowledgeable regarding television newsroom systems and methods including digital and social media.
- Working knowledge of HD and multi-platform technologies.
- Solutions-oriented approach to challenges.
- Strong focus on continuous improvement.
- Strong time management skill – manage shifting priorities, demands, and often conflicting timelines smoothly.
- Highly self-directed, self-starter.
- Ability to synthesize qualitative and quantitative data to make innovative and thoughtful recommendations to meet various training needs.
- Experience in designing technical course content.
- Proven experience as technical trainer.
- Ability to tactfully provide positive and constructive feedback.
- Standard office environment.
- Travel required, often short notice.
The E.W. Scripps Company (NASDAQ: SSP) is a diversified media company focused on creating a better-informed world. As the nation’s fourth-largest local TV broadcaster, Scripps serves communities with quality, objective local journalism and operates a portfolio of 61 stations in 41 markets. The Scripps Networks reach nearly every American through the national news outlets Court TV and Newsy and popular entertainment brands ION, Bounce, Grit, Laff and Court TV Mystery. Scripps is the nation’s largest holder of broadcast spectrum. Scripps runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, “Give light and the people will find their own way.”
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.