OPB is looking for a reporter to cover Southwest Washington. We’re seeking a creative and ambitious beat reporter who can balance daily news with longer features and investigative reporting. These stories will appear on multiple platforms, including OPB radio, podcasts and our website. This is a non-exempt, full-time, regular status position with benefits.
The SW Washington Bureau Reporter/Producer produces high quality enterprise features and daily news stories for OPB News that appear on multiple platforms, consistently meeting daily deadlines, as well as ethical, technical, legal and aesthetic standards. This involves daily research, writing, online filing, photography, voicing and production and the regular use of OPB’s media asset management system. The bulk of this reporter/producer’s newsgathering efforts will focus on news and issues in Southwest Washington and they may occasionally be assigned stories in Oregon. This person represents OPB in Southwest Washington by maintaining an office, creating a network of contacts and relationships and, with supervisor approval, participating in local events. The Reporter/Producer supervises the work of interns and volunteers in the bureau. Editors in OPB’s main newsroom in Portland coordinate the Reporter/Producer’s work and they may occasionally be assigned stories in Oregon.
The reporter will divide time between an office/studio in Vancouver, Washington, and field work as needed for newsgathering, which may include travel to remote locations, working evening or weekends, and possibly working in inclement weather. Lifting and carrying equipment up to 40 lbs is sometimes required. Some extended periods of standing and walking may be required. Regular travel to the Portland office is required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or related field or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for this position.
- Three years full-time professional experience as a news reporter.
- Experience developing and maintaining a beat.
- Ability to develop and maintain sources.
- Strong writing, interviewing and organizational skills.
- Familiarity with photography, audio, video and social media in the presentation of news stories.
- Ability to file live reports and participate in breaking news coverage.
- Commitment to high ethical standards in reporting.
- Must thrive in a fast-paced working environment, take initiative and balance multiple priorities with speed and accuracy.
- Ability to direct the work of interns and volunteers.
- Ability to be the face of OPB to the SW Washington community.
- Enthusiasm for the mission of OPB.
- Enthusiasm for the changing news production environment and the tools and software used to facilitate our work.
- Ability and willingness to live in SW Washington.
- Experience using digital audio recording and editing equipment.
- Experience as a bureau reporter.
- A demonstrated interest in following stories over time.
- Community engagement experience.
- Bilingual in English and another language.
- An eye for diverse voices and sources in stories.
- Photography or video production skills.
All application materials are due by:
Dec. 2, 2019, 5 p.m. (Pacific Time).
|Job Category||Multimedia, Radio|