Text Editor, Democracy and Misinformation
Associated Press (Washington, District of Columbia)
The Associated Press is an independent global news organization dedicated to factual reporting. Founded in 1846, AP today remains the most trusted source of fast, accurate, unbiased news in all formats and the essential provider of the technology and services vital to the news business. More than half the world’s population sees AP journalism every day.
The Associated Press seeks a talented and versatile text editor to join its text editing desk based in Washington, D.C. You’ll work closely with news managers and journalists in Washington and across the United States to ensure AP content is accurate, fast, distinctive and packaged creatively for audiences around the world.
This job comes with an expansive assignment to help improve the storytelling of AP journalists who cover elections, democracy and politics in the United States. Your work will include editing breaking news, enterprise and explanatory journalism that provides fact-based reporting and seeks to combat misinformation about democracy and elections in the U.S. This is a two-year grant-funded position with an opportunity to extend.
In this role, you will ensure that urgent news is published in the moment, swiftly guiding accurate reporting to AP members and customers. You will quickly assess the heart of a story, identifying details that need expansion or gaps that need filling, working to elevate the reporting and writing so it resonates with all of AP’s audiences. As a collaborative team player, you’ll work on a range of topics and with reporters, and may, on occasion, be called on to report breaking news from the desk. You may also be asked to find and verify important user-generated content, create eye-catching social promotion and use digital tools to present stories in unique ways.
We’re looking for someone who will:
- collaborate with a team of journalists, reporters and editors to deliver spot news and enterprise coverage that breaks news, has impact and is exclusive to AP.
- demonstrate strong communication skills and work collaboratively with the diverse team of journalists at the AP who operate in all formats: text, photo, video, audio, digital/social, interactive and graphics.
- have a great news sense, with the ability to communicate stories that people will want to share on social media and other platforms.
- pursue innovative and inclusive coverage techniques while maintaining AP’s standards for integrity and objectivity.
We’re looking for an excellent text editor who is excited by the process of editing and publishing breaking news and guiding spot news and enterprise stories to publication. You enjoy helping reporters explain complex stories in clear and compelling ways. You should be able to support reporters during the reporting, writing and presentation process, including with colleagues in remote locations. You are an editor who thrives when working swiftly on tight deadlines, in part because you can reorder priorities quickly. Applicants should have at least one year of full-time experience at a daily newspaper, broadcast station, online or digital news outlet, or an AP bureau or regional desk.
We will consider strong candidates who do not meet every listed qualification. You may use a cover letter to describe the unique qualifications you would bring to this role.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience, such as at least one year of full-time work as a newsroom developer or visual journalist a daily newspaper, broadcast station, online or digital news outlet or AP bureau.
- All applicants must be able to work in the U.S. or be able to gain permission to do so.
- Advanced-level professional competency in written and spoken English. Professional competency in a language besides English is a plus.
- The ability and willingness to work any shift, including at night and on weekends, or as coverage demands, as AP is a 24/7 operation.
Application Deadline: April 9, 2023 @ 11:59 PM ET
AP seeks to build an inclusive organization grounded in respect for differences. We support all aspects of diversity and provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or status as a veteran. We encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply.