Come join a dynamic new national media powerhouse focused on the over-the-air TV consumer. The Scripps Networks (a growing portfolio of entertainment and news networks) provides absorbing entertainment and objective, intelligent news as we use our own distribution platforms to serve this unduplicated national audience. We meet the audience where it is with the programs it wants.
The Writer is responsible for writing accurate and compelling anchor copy for a newscast, newsbrief, or show within a 24/7 news operation. The selected candidate will also copyedit and fact check producer and reporter copy within the broadcast.
What you’ll do:
- Write day-of news stories, prompter intros and outros, open and tease copy, and polish scripts for reporter packages
- React to breaking news and write contemporaneous anchor copy from the control room as the story unfolds.
- Create compelling banners for topics
- Support the digital team to ensure fluidity and consistency between broadcast and online effort
- Assist in the incorporation of any changes to copy as requested by anchors, producers and reporters
- Copy edit scripts and work with other staff and production personnel to ensure accuracy and journalistic standards
- Pitch stories weekly and attend all daily pitch meetings
- Perform other duties as assigned
What you’ll bring:
Education & Experience/Certifications
- Bachelor’s degree preferred in journalism or similar degree p
- 3-5 years of experience writing for television production
Skills & Abilities
- Seasoned journalist who thrives in a deadline-driven news environment that prioritizes accuracy
- Ability to review, fact check, and polish producer, reporter, and anchor copy
- Experience receiving feedback and adjusting copy accordingly for daily production
- Ability to multitask and manage a high-volume of copy needs in a short period of time every day
- Motivated by strong editorial judgment, journalistic ethics and thoughtful attention to detail
- Possess a willingness to raise questions or concerns in pursuit of telling the most accurate and engaging story possible
- Experience working with a team of producers, reporters, and anchors to write a consistent and cohesive program that maintains its distinctive voice across all platforms
Newsy is the leading cross-platform television news network that provides straightforward, opinion-free news to inform and engage by delivering the top stories across every platform. Its content is available over-the-air and on connected TV platforms including Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV and Google Chromecast as well as over-the-top services including YouTube TV, Sling TV, Pluto TV, Xumo, Samsung TV+ and Vizio WatchFree. Newsy also is available via its mobile apps and at newsy.com. Newsy is a wholly owned subsidiary of The E.W. Scripps Company (NASDAQ: SSP).
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.
SCRIPPS’ COMMITMENT TO EQUITY, DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION:
At Scripps, we are committed to a diverse and inclusive culture that reflects the communities we serve. We are intentional about creating an environment where employees, our audiences and other stakeholders feel valued and inspired to reach their full potential and make authentic connections. We foster a workplace culture that embraces each person’s diversity, including the extent to which they are similar or different. Scripps leaders believe that an equitable and inclusive culture is not only the right thing to do, it is a business imperative. Read more about our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion at scripps.com.
The E.W. Scripps Company (NASDAQ: SSP) is a diversified media company focused on creating a better-informed world. As the nation’s fourth-largest local TV broadcaster, Scripps serves communities with quality, objective local journalism and operates a portfolio of 61 stations in 41 markets. The Scripps Networks reach nearly every American through the national news outlets Court TV and Newsy and popular entertainment brands ION, Bounce, Grit, Laff and Court TV Mystery. Scripps is the nation’s largest holder of broadcast spectrum. Scripps runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, “Give light and the people will find their own way.”
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.